Model Building & Python Scripting in ArcGIS
Value Addition Course Classroom Online
Duration: 1 month
ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop software contains ModelBuilder, which is a work flow tool that enables the creation and execution of consistent, repeatable models that are comprised of one or more processing steps. ModelBuilder workflows can be created and executed on both the desktop and over the web. Parameters can be defined that will be filled into a pop-up form at runtime. Model workflows can also be rerun with different data or inputs for evaluating scenarios. Models created can also be exported as scripts in Python and other programming languages.
Python is becoming more and more popular for writing custom scripts in ArcGIS. Python scripts can be used to manipulate a map, execute geoprocessing commands, and read/write files. This course takes a leveled approach to writing scripts; beginning with basic Python syntax and simple scripts, ending with scripts that read files, manipulate the information, and create GIS data.
What you will learn
- Introduction to Model Building
- Setting up instructive model
- Establishing the flow control
- Working with Modelling Environment
- Using Multiple inputs and parameters
- Export model as python scripts and manipulate it
- Understand fundamentals of the Python Language for ArcGIS
- Writing Basic Geoprocessing Scripts with ArcPy
- Update map document properties such as author, date, and descriptive tags.
- Repair broken layers when map files or data sources have been moved.
- Turn map layers on and off and add layers to a map.
- Change a layer's symbology in all maps that contain the layer.
- Automate Map Production and Printing
- Executing Geoprocessing Tools using Scripts
- Creating Custom Geoprocessing Tools
- Use script for Querying and Selecting Data
- Using the Arcpy Data Access Module to edit data
- Listing and Describing GIS Data
- Customizing the ArcGIS Interface with Add-Ins
- Error Handling and Troubleshooting, debugging
Who should attend
- Basic knowledge of windows operating system
- Understanding of GIS fundamental concepts
Who Should Attend
- Student or working professionals of geography, geo-informatics, remote sensing